Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Something I thought I'd never see

A couple weeks ago Mike Ference and I visited an advertising and PR agency in downtown Cleveland. The office is on the sixth floor, so, naturally, we'd take the elevator. We entered the Artcraft Building on Superior Ave., but instead of seeing the usual bank of elevators, we saw a single wooden and glass door with a button next to it.
I pushed the button, and within a few seconds, the elevator arrived. Much to my surprise, an operator was inside. I thought these were all long gone. But a second entrance to the building has another elevator.
The operator's name is John, and he said the building opened in 1919, so the elevators are 91 years old. I think John siad it was a shirt factory until the 1950s. It has since been converted to offices and studios. But the original elevators are still intact.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, This is a nice blog. I learn more by your blog. I want share information of my business. Brightway is number 1 export company in India. Brightway company export best quality Rotavator, Rotavator Gear Box Single Speed, Rotavator Gear Box Multi Speed, Gear Box, Agriculture spare parts, Tractor Rotavator in India. Visit the rotavator manufacturers companies |rotavator gear box manufacturers Contact: + 91 9878546522, Phone Number. 0161-4510015.

    ReplyDelete